Search

Custom Search

September 14, 2009

Had an "old person" moment....

So last Friday after work I had one of those dreaded old person moments. Another week of work had come to an end so some co-workers of mine decided we should go have some beers/cocktails after work to unwind and hang out, outside of work for a change. This having been a lifelong work dream of mine I eagerly accepted, excited to show my co-workers, "Normal, Fun, Not at work" Jimmy. Which coincidentally is pretty much one man in the same as "Work" Jimmy. Anyways I had an exciting dinner date set up with my beautiful fiancee' Brittany at Old Shawnee Pizza (Holla!) later so I said my goodbyes after some beers and rocking out the jukebox, impressing all around. (Sidenote about me, rocking the jukebox/music at bars and parties is a passion of mine. I pride myself on my music picking abilities and am convinced my calling in life is to be a DJ somehow, but maybe thats another blog in and of itself).

So I am getting ready to leave when, before I go I ask my co-workers what they are doing this weekend. I let them know I will probably be down in Power and Light sampling the new Johnny's to watch KU play UTEP. By the way if you haven't been to that Johnny's yet, I HIGHLY recommend it. While it is a KU bar originally, they do a good job of making all fans feel at home as there KU, KSU, MU and Nebraska fans all there watching football. So as I ask a guy I work with what his plans are and he tells me he is going to the Pitt St. vs. NW Missouri St. game at Arrowhead earlier that day. I tell him, because I like him and think he is funny (not my whitey titey, cube over decorator in the previous post) that he should come down to P and L after the game and meet up with us and hang out. He says yeah maybe and I soon after depart for my date with my Mama. Fast forward about 15 minutes and I'm sitting at a stoplight on Shawnee Mission Parkway and Nieman Rd. replaying the exchange with my co-worker over and over in my head.

For some stupid reason I start getting a tad anxious about it. What if I really wanted him to come for some reason, how would I ever get a hold of him? I don't have his cell number. I then proceed to get really mad at myself. I can't figure out why this is bothering me. So I progress in my thoughts a little further and play out a scenario in my head in which I was leaving the bar and before I left I asked my cool co-worker for his number. I imagined in my head the incident and saw myself putting in his name in my phone and it hit me. Oh my lord I am 25.

Why you are probably asking?? Well in my imagination as I was putting his number in my phone I put in his First name and Last name. Gone are the days of nicknames in my phone of Nutso, Heebs Chewy, Mo Sizzz etc. Gone are Amy Chemistry Lab, Justin Geometry Class, Frank from Dallas. It hit me like a ton of bricks and I thought, man you know you are getting old when you start putting new phone numbers in your phone and instead of just a first name or a nickname you put their full given name.

I quickly snapped out of my funk, once I got the aroma of the greatest pizza in the world, and my 2 second attention span turned to one of my favorite songs on the radio. Naturally with my love for DJ'ing and infant like attention span, I thought, Man if I was a DJ, I would play this song next.....

Man I am weird, and old...

1 comment:

  1. If you ever start making money off of this blog...I get a cut out of it. After all, I did discover it and I'm your sista. And Mama? Get serious Jim!

    ReplyDelete